Thursday, December 20, 2012

Jenny


I've already posted some pictures of Jenny in previous posts, so I don't want to over post.  I have some other pictures of her, where she is being silly, but I don't think she'd want me to post them.  :)  During my time at Emmanuel in 2004, I worked in the kitchen with Jenny and Lourdes (my next post will be about her!).  That consisted of setting places and doing dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and also helping with dinner prep during the afternoons (translate - spend LOTS of time in the kitchen peeling eggs, chopping stuff, opening cans with machetes, hunting mice, etc.).  Most every afternoon I spent hours with these two girls.  I was very excited to see Jenny, having kept up with her on Facebook for a few years, I was aware that she'd gotten married and had a baby.  I was excited to meet her husband and have our kids play together.  



Jenny has grown into a beautiful woman, both inside and out.  She encouraged me a great deal, speaking openly about having faith and honoring the Lord.  She and her family live on the farm, since her husband is in charge of the pigs that they raise and use for food.  He came to Emmanuel as a missionary and became enamored with my beautiful friend - for good reason!  




The last full morning we were there, Wednesday, I was blessed with the opportunity to have a couple of solid hours with Jenny.  We walked around the orphanage and went to the store for ice cream and soda.  I did not expect to be able to do that, and was exceedingly glad that it worked out.  I have truly missed my friend, remembering with fondness our days together when I was a volunteer.  

My one regret is not doing a better job of keeping in touch during the time I have been away.  Jenny speaks really good English now, and we were able to communicate much more than before.  I'm going to really try to be better at that.  

But that aside, it was great to see Jenny again, to spend time with her, to see with my own eyes her life as it is now.  It was great to see her married to a man that seeks to honor the Lord, to be raising a baby in a family, loving God and seeking to trust Him.  

1 comment: